Friday, November 19, 2010

Lady Skirts

So it has been a week since I last posted, but real life things have distracted me from blogging fun time. Bad things, but also fun things, like sorting through super old family photographs. Soon I will post about my awesome great great aunt Ethel. I recently discovered 1.) that she existed, and 2.) that she was super stylish. Pictures soon.

But for today, I was inspired by many of my favorite bloggers putting up new posts today (aka I am about to straight up copy the latest post from Just Say Maux).

A few months ago, I bought this skirt after seeing a few images here and there of lovely ladylike skirts. It's a little small, so I'm going to get some elastic put in at the waist so it fits nice and snug and smooth, but I have been lazy about getting to the tailor. But after seeing a new crop of lovely longer skirts, I might have to bust my ass on over to Jenny's Tailoring and get that worked out. See below:

(image via the sartorialist)
This image has been reposted to hell and is probably behind this most recent resurgence of ladylike longer skirts, but I had to post it again because the sweater-skirt-heels combo is just so good.

(image via chictopia.com)
This is the image that started it all for me. I saw it on Chictopia and went nuts over the white tank-printed skirt combo. Awesome.

(image via the sartorialist)
Another great printed skirt example from The Sartortialist.

More great examples from Chictopia:

(images via chictopia.com)

The important thing to note here is that it is NOT a maxi skirt (a trend which I am OK with, but not 100% behind yet). The look is '50s or '70s ladylike, not '90s grunge/art gallery patron. On a side note, I just remembered that I had a heather grey maxi skirt when I was probably about 11, with a matching hoodie, and I wore it once when I went to the museum with my parents, with my yellow tinted wire-rim sunglasses, because it made me feel artsy. I may have worn it with my bright blue pop art Mona Lisa tee. (That was a pretty epic shirt.) Awesome. However, this is not the look we're going for here.

I am excited to wear my skirt with big platforms and chunky brown strappy heels (which I must first acquire), big belts, and blousy tops. But first stop, the tailor.

And finally, this is just taking it to the next level.

(image from j.crew s/s '11 via style.com)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home