Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Marling Darling


I've been hearing about Laura Marling from various people for a while now. A friend gave me her most recent album as a gift, and I don't know if I even got all the way through it. I know I haven't listened to it past the first time. She has a pretty voice, and nice instrumentation, and lovely little songs, but somehow, her music hasn't pulled me in like some other folk girls I like. Perhaps she is a little too British, gray and drab, for me?

But this I like.

She's done two covers for Third Man Records' Blue Series of 7" vinyl singles, "Blues Run the Game" by Jackson C. Frank, which I think I heard for the first time via a Paul Simon cover, and "The Needle and the Damage Done" by Neil Young. Maybe it's just because they are songs I know and love, and I can tell what the lyrics are, but I like her so much better in this setting than playing her own songs. Her voice sounds magnificent. Sorry Laura. Maybe do a covers album and I will become a devoted fan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home